Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
- After a rough childhood,
- Born in South Africa, his parents divorced when Elon was 9.
He was mistreated by his father and faced severe bullying at school.
Despite these barriers, Elon managed to secure some small victories.
- Musk had photographic memory, which he used to gain a lot of knowledge in various fields.
At age 10, he won a programming competition with his game
- Elon Musk experienced early success in Silicon Valley.
- Even with a couple of hiccups,
- He was ousted as a CEO of Zip2 and was sued for ownership of the original business idea.
- he sold his first company Zip2 for $307 million.
- He pocketed $22 million and bought his famous
The next company, X.com merged with his competitor – Peter Thiel's PayPal – which then made it public and eventually was sold to eBay for $1.5 billion.
- Musk netted about $250 million and moved to LA to pursue his space ambitions.
- Then he risked his next ventures Tesla & Space X big time.
- Elon was investing his personal money.
- To secure his control over the companies.
- They were using consumer–grade electronics
- Ethernet cables in Spaceships, LCD touch monitors as Tesla Model S displays
- and making as much low-cost and in-house production as possible.
- Space X underwent three unsuccessful rocket lunches. Tesla was also very close to bankruptcy.
- In April 2013 Tesla Motors almost got acquired by Google.
- The risk paid off and now he seems to be at the top of his game.
- Space X secured a large government deal
- $1.6 billion as payment for twelve flights to the space station
- and became the only private company to dock with ISS. Tesla Motors raised a big round of funding and introduced the new Model X.
- Elon has great empathy for the human race,
- Breaking our dependency on oil together with his cousins Lyndon and Peter Rive from Solar Energy.
Tesla, SpaceX and SolarCity created thousands of jobs.
In 2013 he introduced Hyperloop – a new high-speed ground transport system between San Francisco and LA.
Musk’s ultimate goal, though, remains turning humans into an interplanetary species.
- but not so much for individuals around him.
- Personal life has lower priority on his busy schedule. Musk is twice divorced.
got burnt out by his high expectations and aggressive deadlines.